Saturday, March 13, 2010

follow up to...


Kinorama Pro User says:

BTW--its in Philadelphia
Posted 11 hours ago. ( permalink | delete | edit )

view profile

dullshick Pro User says:

Aha! Thanks for the thoughtful reply. We certainly share an interest in the "built" landscape, but I'm hopelessly wrapped up in particulars. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm fixated on the physical place because I'm interested in the people - Who built/used/adapted/abandoned this unique structure? Where did they go? Who lives here (or near here) now? Who will use (or flatten) it in the future? Anyway, thanks again for the compelling images...
Posted 3 hours ago. ( permalink | delete )

view profile

Kinorama Pro User says:

Again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. It means a lot to me because up until the advent of things like flickr, much of my work never gets seen.

I am thankful that my image triggered the thoughts that you expressed because, those were mine too but they occurred in the span of the moment when I first captured the image while in the physical environment.

Later on when this series started to gel for me I started to ask the very questions you raise about who, what, when, what will happen. I hate to take credit, but often my camera destroys places that I photograph. Or put in another way I (like many other photographers working in this genre) perceive fragile or transitional subjects and capture them before the inevitable wrecking ball of entropy comes along. I used to bewail the demise of things like interesting signs buildings, etc. Now with the internet, online photo collections, the ubiquity of digital "everyman" is a photographer--I am free to move on to other problems. Thus my desire to push the "Hidden Washington" series out of my archives and into cyber space.

The reason why I resist explaining geographical locations for this body of work is that I am in a struggle to wrestle my photography out of the realm of depictions of specific things and into allowing specific things be the voice for something deeper.

That is why I am so grateful for your comments because you have allowed me to understand where I need to go next through this process of explaining my process.

Your statement "'...I'm fixated on the physical place because I'm interested in the people - Who built/used/adapted/abandoned this unique structure? Where did they go? Who lives here (or near here) now? Who will use (or flatten) it in the future?" expresses exactly what I am working on, but have not had the words until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment